In Brief: I'm in the private practice of psychiatry, psychotherapy, and psychoanalysis in Center City, Philadelphia, PA. I work with patients who have all kinds of emotional or relationship problems. Although I
use a variety of modalities of therapy, my favorite, and the one in which I have had the most extensive experience, is psychodynamic psychotherapy, supplemented, if needed, with medication. I received my analytic training with the
Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia (PCoP), and have been a Training and Supervising Analyst for many years. In addition to my clinical practice, I do a lot of teaching. I'm a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of
Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and teach psychodynamic technique to the Penn residents in training to become psychiatrists, as well as to the candidates at PCoP in training to become psychoanalysts. Finally, I teach and supervise
a variety of Mental Health Professionals who seek me out for their Continuing Education.
Here's my Curriculum Vitae, which probably contains more about me than you really want to know:
Sydney E. Pulver, M.D.
Postgraduate Training and Fellowship Appointments:
Faculty Appointments: University of Pennsylvania
Hospital and Administrative Appointments:
Awards, Honors and Membership in Honorary Societies:
Memberships in Professional and Scientific Societies and Other Professional Activities: (Including offices held):
International Psychoanalytic Association
American Psychiatric Society
Philadelphia Psychoanalytic Foundation
Philadelphia Psychoanalytic Institute
Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia
Psychoanalytic Research Group,
Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital
State and Local Societies
Academic and Institutional Committees:
Major Teaching and Clinical Responsibilities:
- Participation in courses for Psychiatric Residents throughout the year.
- Low fee treatment for Medical School Residents and faculty members of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School/200 hours per year.
Lectures by Invitation (past five years):
- Panel – Chair – “Multiple Models in Clinical Practice: A Bane or a Blessing?”
- American Psychoanalytic Association, January 21, 2006.
- Panel – Moderator – “Freud in the Wider World: 150 Years of Creative Clinical
- and Intellectual Influence”, Psychoanalytic Association of New York,
- May 6, 2006.
- Panel – Panelist – “The Wolf Man Paints!”, Slought Foundation , November 18,
Organizing Roles in Scientific Meetings: N/A
Research Publications, peer reviewed (print or other media):
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Medical Hypnosis Today. Philadelphia Medicine .
- 54:571, 1956.
- Robitscher, Jonas B., and Pulver, Sydney E.: Orphenadrine
- in the Treatment of Depression: A Preliminary Study.
- American Journal of Psychiatry , 114:1113-1114, 1958.
Katz, G. Henry, and Pulver, Sydney E.: Dementia Praecox
(Schizophrenia). Cyclopedia of Medicine , revised
- edition, Philadelphia, F.A., Davis Co., 1959.
Lower, R.B.; Therman, P.O.; Foulkes, R.S.; Smith, L.H,;
- Crawford, W.R.; Pulver, S.E.: Collaboration in the
- Fields of Religion and Psychiatry: A Community Study,
- Philadelphia Medicine , 56:635-639, 1960.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Some Current Problems in Medical Hypnosis.
- Pennsylvania Medical Journal , 64:181-187, 1961.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The First Electroconvulsive Treatment
- Given in the United States: An Historical Note.
- American Journal of Psychiatry , 117:845, 1961.
- Pulver, Sydney E., and Smith, Lauren H.: Teaching Medical
- Hypnosis: A Pilot Course at a University Medical
- School. Comprehensive Psychiatry , 2:157-162, 1961.
- Pulver, Sydney E., and Jacobs, E. Gardner: The Effect of
- Nonconvulsive Electrostimulation of Some Side Effects
- of Electroconvulsive Therapy: A Controlled Study. Diseases
- of the Nervous System , 22:758-764, 1961.
- Pulver, Sydney E., and Brunt, Manly Y.: The Deflection of
- Hostility in Folie a Deux. Archives of General
- Psychiatry 5:257-65, 1961.
- Pulver, Sydney E.; Hoffman, George I.; Sechzer, Philip:
- Clinic on Hypnosis. American Practice , 13:274-284, 1962.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Uncovering the Traumatic Event as a
- Hypnotherapeutic Technique. American Journal of
- Clinical Hypnosis , 5:42-46, 1962.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Delusions Following Hypnosis. International
- Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis , 1l:11-22, 1963.
- Pulver, Sydney E., and Eppes, Bennett: The Poetzel Phenomenon: Some
- Further Evidence. Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases ,
- 136:527-534, 1963.
- Saul, Leon J., and Pulver, Sydney E.: The Concept of Emotional Maturity.
- Comprehensive Psychiatry , 6:1965.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Psychiatric Training for Medical Practice. Medical
- Tribune , 15:1965.
- Smith, Lauren, and Pulver, Sydney E.: Physicians Studying Hypnosis. Archives
- of General Psychiatry , 12:557-561, 1965.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Postgraduate Education in Psychiatry for the Non-
- Psychiatric Physician: Recruitment. The American Journal of
- Psychiatry , 123:930-937, 1967.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Narcissism: The Term and the Concept.
- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 18:
- 319-341, 1970, and Psyche , 26:34-57, 1972 (German Translation) .
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Can Affects Be Unconscious? International Journal of
- Psycho-Analysis , 52:347-354, 1971.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Unconscious Versus Potential Affects.
- The Psychoanalytic Quarterly , 43:77-84, January, 1974.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Freud and Third Party Payment: A Historical Note.
- American Journal of Psychiatry , 131:12, December, 1974.
- Pulver, Sydney E., and Pulver, Mitchell, P.: Hypnosis in Medical and Dental
- Practice: A Survey. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis , 23:28-47, 1975.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Training of Family Practitioners about Alcoholism.
- Involving the Physician through Alcohol Education and Training: Published Proceedings, Eastern Area Alcohol Education and Training Program, Inc., Bloomfield, Connecticut, 1975.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: (Reporter) Panel on Survey of Psychoanalytic Practice, 1976:
- Some Trends and Implications. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 26:615-631, 1978, and in Psyche , 38:63-82, 1984 (German Translation).
- Jaffe, D. and Pulver, S.: Survey of Psychoanalytic Practice 1976; Some Trends
- and Implications. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 26:615-631, 1978.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Clinical Use of the Manifest Dream. Journal of the
- American Psychoanalytic Association , 32:157-162, 1984.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Psychoanalytic Technique: Some Personal Reflections.
- Analysts at Work , Joseph Reppen, Ph.D., Analytic Press, New Jersey,
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Manifest Dream in Psychoanalysis: A Clarification.
- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 35:99-118, 1987.
- Escoll, Philip J. (Issue Editor); with Pulver, Sydney E.; Rosen, Joel E.;
- Skolnikoff, Alan Z.: The Psychoanalysis of Young Adults.
- Psychoanalytic Inquiry , Vol. 7:1, 1987.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: How Theory Shapes Technique: Perspective on a Clinical
- Study. Issue editor, Psychoanalytic Inquiry , Vol. 7:289-299, 1987.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Psychic Structure, Function, Process and Content:
- Toward Definition. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic
- Association , Vol. 36, 1988.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Joint Editor with Malin, Arthur and Skolnikoff, Alan Z.:
- Converting Psychotherapy to Psychoanalysis. Psychoanalytic Inquiry ,
- Vol. 10, 1990.
Pulver, Sydney: Termination and Separation-Individuation. Chapter in
- Beyond the Symbiotic Orbit (1991), edited by Salman Akhtar and
- Henri Parens, Jason Aronson, New York, 1991.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Psychoanalytic Technique: Progress the Past Decade.
- Psychoanalytic Inquiry , Vol. 11, No. 1: 65-87, 1991.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Gestures, Emblems, and Body Language: What Does it All
- Mean? In Kramer, S. and Akhtar, S. When the Body Speaks . Jason
- Aronson, New Jersey, 1991.
- Pulver, Sydney E. and Akhtar, Salman: Sadomasochism in the Perversions;
- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association ,
- 39:741-755, 1991.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Psychic Change: Insight or Relationship? International
- Journal of Psycho‑Analysis , 73:199-206, 1992.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Impasses in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. Psychiatric
- Annals , 22:514-519, 1992.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Freudian and Kleinian Theory: A Dialogue of Comparative
- Perspectives. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association ,
- 40:801-826, 1992.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Eclectic Analyst, or the Many Roads to Insight and
- Change. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association ,
- 41:339-357, 1993.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Psychoanalytic Process and Mechanism of Therapeutic
- Change. Chapter in Psychoanalysis: The Major Concepts , edited by
- Moore, B.E., Fine, B.D., Yale University Press, New Haven, 1995.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Technique of Psychoanalysis Proper, Chapter in
- Psychoanalysis: The Major Concepts , edited by Moore, B.E., Fine, B.D.,
- Yale University Press, New Haven, 1995.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Symptomatology, Chapter in Psychoanalysis: The Major
- Concepts , edited by Moore, B.E., Fine, B.D., Yale University Press, New
- Haven, 1995.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Shame and Guilt: A Synthesis, The Psychoanalytic Quarterly ,
- 19:3, 388-406, 1999.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: Introduction to the Case History, Journal of the American
- Psychoanalytic Association , 48/2:376-381, 2000.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: The Definition of Narcissism, Encyclopedia of Psychology
- Alan E. Kazdin, Editor, 2000.
- Pulver, Sydney E.: On the Astonishing Clinical Irrelevance of Neuroscience,
- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 51/3:754-772, 2003.
Contributions to peer-reviewed clinical research publications, participation cited but not by authorship:
- Graff, H., and Crabtree, L.H.: Vicissitudes in the Development of a
- Psychoanalytic Research Group . Journal of the
- American Psychoanalytic Association , 20:820-830, 1972.
- Luborsky, L.; Graff, H.; Pulver, S.; and Curtis, H.: A Clinical‑Quantitative
- Examination of Consensus on the Concept of Transference. Archives of
- General Psychiatry , 29:69-75, July, 1973.
- Lower, Richard; Escoll, Philip; Little, Ralph; and Ottenberg, Perry: An
- Experimental Examination of Transference. Archives of General Psychiatry , 29:738-741, December, 1973.
- Luborsky, Lester; Bachrach, Henry; Graff, Harold; Pulver, Sydney; and
- Christoph, Paul: Preconditions and Consequences of Transference Interpretations: A Clinical‑Quantitative Investigation. Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases , 167:391-402, 1979.
- Bachrach, Henry; Curtis, Homer; Escoll, Philip; Graff, Harold; Huxster,
- Howard; Ottenberg, Perry, and Pulver, Sydney: Units of Observation and Perspectives on the Psychoanalytic Process. British Journal of Medical Psychology , 54:25-33, 1981.
- Luborsky, Lester; Stuart, Jennifer, et al: The Penn Psychoanalytic Treatment
- Collection: A Set of Complete and Recorded Psychoanalyses As a Research Resource. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 49/1:217-234.
Research Publications, non-peer reviewed: N/A
- Editorials, Reviews, Chapters, including participation in committee reports (print or other media):
- Waldhorn, Herbert F.: The Place of the Dream in Clinical
- Psychoanalysis. (Kris Study Group of the New York
- Psychoanalytic Institute, Monograph 2). New York,
- International Universities Press, 54, 1967.
- Levenson, Edgar A.: The Fallacy of Understanding: An Inquiry
- into the Changing Structure of Psychoanalysis.
- Contemporary Psychology , 19:322-323, 1974.
- Stoller, Robert J.: Splitting: A Case of Female Masculinity.
- Contemporary Psychology , 20:792-793, 1975.
- Fliess, Robert: Vol. I, Ego and Body Ego. Vol. Il, Contributions To Their
- Psychoanalytic Psychology. Vol. Ill, Symbol, Dream, and Psychosis.
- International Universities Press. The Psychoanalytic Quarterly ,
- 46:159-168, 1977.
- Rosenblatt, A., and Thickstun, Jr.: Modern Psychoanalytic
- Concepts in a General Psychology. Psychological Issues, II, Monograph 42/43. Journal of the Philadelphia Association for Psychoanalysis ,
- 5:197-200, 1978.
- Socarides, C.W.: The World of Emotions. International
- Universities Press, 1977. Journal of the Philadelphia
- Association for Psychoanalysis , 5:3-4, 1978.
- Bernstein, Isador, and Fine, Bernard D.: The Manifest
- Content of the Dream. (Kris Study Group of the New
- York Psychoanalytic Institute, Monograph 3). New York,
- International Universities Press, 55, 1969. Journal of
- the American Psychoanalytic Association , 26:673-683, 1978.
- Loenwald, Hans: Papers on Psychoanalysis. New Haven and
London: Yale Universities Press, 1980 . Review of
- Psychoanalytic Books , 1:167-175, 1982.
- Gear, Maria Carmen; Hill, Melvyn A; and Liendo, Ernesto
- Cesar: Working Through Narcissism: Treating Its
- Sadomasochistic Structure. The Psychoanalytic
- Quarterly , 52:479-481, 1983.
- Fleming, Joan and Benedek, Therese F. Psychoanalytic
- Supervision: A Method of Clinical Teaching.
- International Journal of Psycho-Analysis , 65:4, 489-491, 1984.
- Miller, Alice: Prisoners of Childhood. Basic Books, New
- York, 1981. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic
Association , 3.3:685-687, 1985.
- Eagle, Morris N. Recent Developments in Psychoanalysis: A Critical
- Evaluation. The Psychoanalytic Quarterly , 55:2, 346-350, 1986.
- Peterfreund, Emanuel: The Process of Psychoanalytic
- Therapy. The Psychoanalytic Review , 74:3, 411‑415, Fall 1987.
- Glick, Robert and Meyers, Donald: Masochism: Current
- Psychoanalytic Perspectives. Psychoanalytic Books , 1987.
- Bergmann, Martin S.: The Anatomy of Loving. The Story of Man's Quest to
- Know What Love Is. Columbia University Press, 1987. The Psychoanalytic Quarterly , Vol. 58, No. 4:655-658, 1989.
- Glucksman, Myron and Warner, Silas: Dreams in New Perspective. Journal
- of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis , Vol. 18, No. 3, 1990.
- Spillius, Elizabeth and Feldman, Michael: Psychic Equilibrium and Psychic
- Change: Select Papers of Betty Joseph. Journal of the American
- Psychoanalytic Association , 42:287-292, 1994.
- Gill, Merton M.: Psychoanalysis in Transition: A Personal View. International
- Journal of Psycho-Analysis , Vol. 76, part 3, 1995.
- Silverman, Doris and Wolitzky, David: Changing Conceptions of
- Psychoanalysis: The Legacy of Merton M. Gill. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 50/2:715-716.
- Rubovits-Seitz, Philip: Depth-Psychological Understanding. The Methodologic
- Grounding of Clinical Interpretations.. The Psychoanalytic Quarterly , 68:2, 317-318, 1999.
- PEP Archive 1 CD-ROM, Version 3, 1920-1998: Full Article Text. Psychoanalytic
- Electronic Publishing, Inc. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , 50/3:1091-1095.
Alternative Media: N/A
- cv john doe format jan 2011.doc